Saturday, May 26, 2007

I has a robin! A robin built a nest on my porch (well, just outside of it, but next to the porch door) during a two-day period last week when I didn't go out there. I figured the robin abandoned it once I started using it every day, but no! This morning I looked outside and there was a lady robin sitting on the nest.

determined mother robin

Uh-oh. I opened the door from the house as gently as I could, but she still flew away. I stretched up my arm and took a pic to see if she had laid some eggs already. And look!


and her potentially doomed eggs


{edited to add new, much better macro image of the eggs.}


And here's the nest itself. See how close it is to the door that I use at least a couple of times a day, and usually many times more?


the well-made nest in a foolish place


I am worried that I am going to scare her off with all of my comings and goings, and her eggs will die. It's a lot of pressure! Luckily for my conscience, robins aren't exactly an endangered species...

No comments: