Saturday, July 14, 2007

So! Last Sunday I went to Coney Island with my sister, bro-in-law, my 3-year-plus-five-months old niece, and my 5-month-old nephew. It was hot and sunny and pretty much perfect beach weather. It was imperative that we go to Coney sometime this summer because major construction projects will begin at the end of the season, destroying the gritty, fun, anything-goes-and-everyone's-welcome feeling here. I took a bunch of photos and uploaded some of the best here.

Some highlights:

The carousel in the Wonder-Wheel-associated park (not Astroland) was playing awesome dance hits. While S and L were on it, they played "Freak Out."

Example

Nearby, this traffic cone was having the ride of its life.

Example

We spent a long time deciding if we wanted a swinging or stationary car on the Wonder Wheel. We are swingers at heart, though, and eventually we committed to a swinger car.

Example

Here's a view of the aging kiddie park below the Wonder Wheel. Notice how incredibly crowded the beach is.

Example

My niece was delighted. My sister was scared (note white-knuckled gripping action).

Example

My nephew woke up right at the end of the ride.

Example

A few more shots:

Example

Example

Example

For more, including the best pirated Mickey item I've ever seen in the flesh, visit the album above.

No comments: