Monday, September 12, 2005

I've got a bad case of the Mondays! Ha! Ha!

No, seriously. My doctor thinks I may need surgery.

Work is kicking my ass. I really shouldn't complain, as I just spent a couple of hours putting together a lion made out of Legos. But still. I am unmotivated to the extreme. When should I finally decide to call it a day, and live the life of a pauper artist? I mean, I roll my eyes at those who refuse to "work for the man" (because it's so much more noble to work for peanuts, and to not have health insurance), but I still wish I wasn't, well, working for the man. Not because of any political or pseudo-wannabe-bohemian stance but because I would be so much happier if I was actually spending 40-hours-plus a week doing things I like to do. I could probably come up with a couple of money-making schemes, and go into business for myself. However, I have an inherent laziness and tendency to not follow projects through to the end (see: Art-o-mat blocks, still unfinished and unsent; see: www.chowflap.com; see: strip quilt project, on hold until it gets colder out; see: Fellowship of the Ring book, abandoned halfway through). I have completed many things, though, so I am trying not to get all defeatist on my ass.

4 comments:

Jennifer Myszkowski said...

I always say that if we had universal health care, my life would be way different. I would not have quit a job that was my actual and factual calling, for one. I might pursue the comedy in a more real way. I can see simplifying and moving into a studio or something. I can see living on the cheap (I've certainly done that before), but I cannot rationalize living without health insurance.

And so the work-a-day world continues for me. Alas. I know exactly what you're talking about.

av said...

1. Send a picture of the lego lion. I need to see it!

2. It is possible to love job where you work 40 hrs per week. Your alternative to what you are doing now is something more fun and more creative with lots of variety, making at least the same amount of money.

3. I'll have to email the rest.

Plartist said...

Seriously! I agree with Jennifer. With a baby on the way, we will be venturing into the world of - "family insurance costs WHAT!?!?!" ouch. So, yes, no dreams of being a stay-at-home mom will come true for me. Working for insurance - the American freakin' dream! There is only financial room for one free-lance artist type in our house, and my husband had the motivation and ambition to actually do it - so he wins, darn him. But, he will have to be part-time Mr. Mom, so this will get interesting...

working for "The Man" has become the only way to get health care for us poor artist types - so work those legos honey! (I would love to see a pic of the lion too, ya know.)

Ohhhhh Canadaaaaa...

debl said...

Here's the lion I made. Seriously, I just followed the 40 pages of instructions, so it looks just like this:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=4884

Um, hello, You're pregnant?!? Congrats!! We need to hang out again. (I hope this is who I think it is. My brain has holes in it, eaten by moths, or NYC cockroaches most likely. )

I work with many women who are the "breadwinners" for the family - they provide a regular income and insurance, and the menfolk have more flexible schedules and do a lot more childcare. They all (husband and wife) seem to do very well with the arrangement.