Sunday, February 26, 2006

I had something to post that I thought of yesterday, but now I've had a glass and a half of wine and I can't remember anything, except that I had an idea once. Oh! I remembered. I went to the mall yesterday, which has a new Orange Julius/Dairy Queen (excuse me - DQ) combo. I used to love Orange Juliuses when I was a teen, though I was too poor to enjoy them more than a handful of times. I didn't have one yesterday either, but that's not the point here. On the Orange Julius smoothie-making counter is a bin of white powder with a label saying "Flavor Enhancer." Now, if the place served savory food, I'd assume it was MSG (and it was 1965 or something). But it's for sweets, and it's today.
So I went to their corporate website and found this:

Julius Flavor Enhancer, Orange Julius® Compound: A dairy-based flavor enhancer blended for taste and texture.
Ingredients include dairy and egg products, specifically whole milk powder and egg white solids.

...which sounds kind of gross. And sounds like it's more of a texture enhancer than anything. Either way, they clearly need a more appetizing name for it. Judging by the ingredients, they could call it "protein powder" and get away with it. Or how about "Texturator"? "Improviepowder"? "AWESOM-O"? Wait, I know: "Angel Dust"! Perfect.

1 comment:

Tits McGee said...

Mmm...angel dust.

Hubby here says the "flavor enhancer" is essentially puddin' mix - 'nilla puddin'.

Oh, and swing by my lists, baby. I got a little surprise for you.