Monday, March 24, 2008

I scheduled the surgery for Thursday -- this Thursday. I am terrified. From what I've been reading and hearing, as soon as I wake up from the surgery I will be nauseated, and I won't feel un-nauseated for three days. My throat will be plenty sore, since they'll have shoved a breathing tube down into it. I will have gas pains and cramps all over my body for several days. And then of course there's the incisions, for which I will be taking painkillers that make me dizzy and more nauseated. It sounds pretty fucking horrible to me. If anyone out there has had general anesthesia without puking or some other bad thing happening, please let me know.

Of course my cyst -- I've named it "Thog" -- has been making me feel terrible, so I do want it out of my body. I wish it would just go away, somehow become the dissolving type. But no, Thog Want To Live! and so he must be forcibly removed. Sorry, Thog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, puking ain't the worst thing in the world. If you can go at it with that mindset, it might help. Plus knowing that it'll end in three days. And nausea is the kind of thing that kind of comes and goes, so it won't be a straight misery-fest the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sway. I've been through this type of surgery, and it's a fast puke, without any time for deals with God. More important, you might not puke. I never had the three-day nausea, either. I just felt groggy. In the scheme of things, your discomfort will be over quickly. Now, take morning sickness: nausea that never goes away. Forever. (Or, at least it seems that way.)

I'm sorry you're scared, though. Not a good feeling. Fortunately the whole thing will be behind you very soon.

futuregirl said...

Ugh! I hope it all goes (away) well. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Losing True--I don't remember any 3-day nausea. All you have to do is wait a few hours before putting anything on your stomach. And you may not need the painkillers for more than a day. Like I've said before, you've already done the pain.

It's going to go fine and easy. Thog-be-gone.

Love,
Piscataway fans