Wednesday, January 22, 2003

I need to write something memoir-ish for a magazine writing class I'm in, and I'm having trouble deciding on a topic. Some ideas I have now:

The death of my boyfriend's dad, of cancer. I'd probably go on too long and ramble too much, but it might be worth doing even if it's not for class since I've never written a complete account of it. (A side note: did Ozzy's t-shirt last night say "Fuck Cancer!"? If so, I want one)

My nerdily oblivious near-misses with boys in college (once I mistook a friend telling me he loved me as just plutonic love, which it wasn't; another time a guy was about to give me a goodnight kiss, and I nervously started eating an apple so he wouldn't. This was a guy I was attracted to, by the way)

Some story about being a twin, which seems to interest people. I don't know.

Something about my shelter dog. Would be tough to not make corny and Jean Teasdale-ish.

A story from when I was 13 and our geek girl posse creatively terrorized a former member of said posse; could be interspersed with quotes from my diary account of the event written the year it happened.

The time I took a hike with a boyfriend in college and we got completely lost, and I realized what an asshole he was (a voyage of discovery, if you will).

I guess I do have some ideas and I just have to start writing. But I'm afraid to start because I don't know if I'll be successful. It's the story of my life!

No comments: