Monday, November 24, 2003

I feel better now. Work was freakin' me out. By 4 p.m. I felt like I hadn't even started work yet, but for all of the meetings and other interruptions. And then I still kept getting people stopping by with questions for me. But by 5:30, once I was the only person left in the office, I got things under control. I'm going to try to keep tomorrow morning meeting-free, for my sanity's sake.

I had a lengthy dog romp at the dog park on Burt's Pit Road on Sunday. It was exceptionally good. The weather was nice, especially for late November; there were a ton of dogs around; and all of the dog owners were laid back and cool. My dog L and I headed for the field next to a bend in the Mill River, where there was a nice-sized pack of dogs running around and playing. There was a gorgeous Great Dane, full grown but still puppyish, and a couple of Jack Russell terriers, a couple of labs, a short-haired collie, a Rhodesian ridgeback, and some random mutts. L did great with everyone, even playing stick-tug-o-war with other dogs. And when the growly play-fighting momentarily turned into a fierce-looking barking match, I pulled L away and the other guy pulled his dog away, and he was totally fine and calm about it. "Happens all the time," he says. Yes it does. I love it when dog owners know what is normal dog behavior and don't get scared every time someone gets barked at.
And then these two people on horseback came by with their dog, and the horses were amazing, letting the dog stand up and put its paws on the horse's side, and letting other strange dogs get close and stare and bark a little at these huge hoofed animals with the humans on top and asses up too high to sniff properly. After hanging out for a few minutes, they galloped down the path, their sporty dog running like a rocket to keep up. After I got home L slept like a black furry log. Like a dog, actually.

I also finally got inside of the new Smith student center. It's pretty damn cool. If they had to put an enormous modern white steel and glass building right next to old historic wood and brick Victorians, this would be the best one to have. I didn't explore very thoroughly, just stayed on the main floor, and ended up in a nice and extremely orange room that was very space-age and mod. There's a circular fireplace in there (unlit) and the rocking lounge chairs are made of sheet metal with red or orange padding stuck on (sadly some of the cushions were already coming unglued from the chairs). It was nice. I have no idea if I'm even allowed in there. I'm a woman, so that's nice camoflauge, and anyone with me could be my guest, I guess.

P.S. See Craftytown for a request for advice on driving during the traffic-fun-time coming up later this week.

No comments: