Monday, January 12, 2004

The baby shower went off without a hitch. My sister will now have the best-dressed baby ever, and will have to change outfits several times a day in order to get to wear them all before she grows out of them. It was a little bittersweet, and exciting, to say goodbye to her and my bro-in-law, since this was the last visit to Brooklyn to hang out with them as a childless couple. The next time I see my sister she'll be in labor (knock on wood). I told a coworker friend about planning on being a birth-partner, and she related to me that her best friend was at the birth of her first child, and it was a great experience. Her friend and her husband kept laughing behind her back (she was very goofy and crazy and funny on painkillers), though they'd pull a sober face if she looked their way. It sounds like everyone was in a jubillant mood, which is unlike the somber, clinical seriousness I was picturing (damn you, Maternity Ward!!). And they did both help, each grasping a leg when it came time for serious pushing. Her friend said "you're having an avocado!!" when the head was emerging.

It's all a little unreal to think about being there at this birth. But I'm trying to make it real. Today I printed out and wrote down info and directions to the hospital where they'll be delivering, and I'm going to keep it in my purse so I don't lose it. Thank God for cell phones, also.

No comments: