Tuesday, January 27, 2004

You may want to read the Complete list of Oscar nominations. Some comments:

Johnny Depp is up for best actor for Pirates of the Carribean. Did Disney pay someone off for this? It's a major coup. I like it when comedic roles get recognition, it's very rare. But then why not have Jack Black in School of Rock, or Will Ferrell in Elf?

Hooray for all of the noms for Lost in Translation. Lord of the Rings was a given. I need to see Mystic River (which is back at Cinemark) but I think I've lost my chance for Master and Commander.

Seabiscuit I will not see, and have no desire to see. From what I've read about it, it sounds like formulaic "triumph of the human spirit" tripe. At least they could have given a shout-out to Cold Mountain, which had problems but at least had some original moments. I mean they might as well have gone ahead and nominated "Radio."

Speaking of Cold Mountain, a song from that film, penned by Sting, is up for Best. Doesn't that bitch get enough awards? The Academy could have thrown one to my boy Jack White if they wanted to honor Cold Mt.'s music. Pablum-loving oldy-oldensteins... It will be fun to see the Mighty Wind song performed at the awards show, though.

For best animated feature, Disney is up against itself and a short French-made animated movie that hardly anyone saw. I wonder who will win? (Okay, not really. Finding Nemo will win.)

Best Actress, I've seen only one of the films on the list so I can't comment. I've heard pretty unanimously that Charlize Theron is excellent in Monster, though.

Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress; same problem. Except the one I saw, for In America, the role Djimon is up for is terrible. Noble/savage black man teaches white family what's really important? Give that guy a statue! And Renee's Cold Mt. role was an easy and fun one to play. It just didn't seem like a huge effort, you know? I mean, she was great, but the role is not award-worthy.

Best Documentary; I saw Capturing the Friedmans and loved it (a very very creepy, yucky subject). What about Spellbound - or was that open last year? If not, it should be on here. Dammit.

As for the rest - does anyone really care?

No comments: