Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I am an aunt again, this time to a boy! As soon as I got the call that actual labor was definitely happening, around 9 p.m. Monday, I hopped in the car and started driving south to NYC. At 10:30 I was halfway there and zooming down the highway when I got a call from my sister. "So," she sighed. "I had the baby." I had missed the entire thing! Apparently what I missed mainly involved a very very painful and stressful car ride to the hospital (Park Slope to mid-town Manhattan), in a van piloted by my dad. My sister was in so much pain she threw up into a little bag she'd brought, with varying degrees of aiming success. The ride was so nightmarish that my sister, dad and bro-in-law all seem to be suffering from a little post-traumatic stress. As soon as she got to the hospital they wheeled her up to the labor and delivery room and checked her out, and told her (to her dismay) that an epidural couldn't happen -- the baby was coming now. Four pushes later, and out came my nephew: 8 pounds, 8 ounces of tomato-skinned boy. Seriously, the kid was dark red when I saw him. He has cute crinkly ears and makes snurffly kitten noises. And because he came out so fast, his head and face are perfectly round.

My niece met the baby today, and she seems to like him. She declared him " cute" and was petting him and kissing him (and her mom). We'll see how that goes. She turns three on Thursday -- they just missed having the same birthday. As for now my new nephew shares a birthday with Lesa and Miles, which means I'll actually remember their birthdays from now on.

No comments: