Monday, November 18, 2002

Hi. So the wedding was beautiful and the reception was fun. The ceremony was outside, in an under-heated tent in the middle of a wet snowstorm. It was dramatic and pretty despite the cold (no-one seemed to mind wearing their coats). I read the poem and I didn't stumble on any words and I spoke clearly and loudly. I'm getting much better at this public speaking thing. Of course I was reading something, which makes it easy; speaking off the cuff is where I run into trouble.

P, A, T, and I were seated at a table with Dennis and Lauren and Mark and Penny. L immediately named it "the best table" and we were rowdy and goofy while we waited to be tapped to go hit the buffet. We went around the table and congratulated the person on our right with a toast. There were some sweet ones and some funny ones (not everyone knew each other very well). The wine and the mojitos were flowin'.

Other highlights included: the elderly woman dancing to the Violent Femmes; the young girl dancing and "whoop!"-ing loudly and continuously through several songs; Dennis and Lauren's beautiful pinata, which was finally felled by Anya's mom, and brought forth fun plastic toys and twizzlers (I got a sheriff's badge for P).

In other news, A had a date last night! A double-date with a guy who works at CVS. Tee-hee. We are refraining from embarrassing her about it. You can tell she's not really my daughter because she's doing normal teenage things like dating, which I didn't do until college.

As for me, I spent a couple of hours playing Deus Ex yesterday and ended up with a headache from motion sickness. I can only play it at night because so much of the game consists of hiding out in the shadows and I can't see anything on my monitor if there's any other light in the room. After playing it I see elements from the game's world everywhere. Like, look at that pack of cigarettes; maybe there's some soy food nearby. Might that desk drawer have a lock pick in it? I'd better throw that house plant across the room as a diversion. And so on.

geekily yours,

No comments: