Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I know it is not at all cool to admit to liking Douglas Adams, but I have a good defense. Our family rallied around each Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book as it came out in print, and I was a mere wisp of a girl when I started reading them (and not yet out of high school when I stopped). Our sci-fi-lovin' parents even got us to watch the BBC TV miniseries based on the book, and we listened to the entire BBC-produced radio series. So when I think about the movie Disney is releasing next year, and that they are producing it with the "tween" market in mind ... well, trepidation is not strong enough a word for how I feel.

So when I came across this official cast list, I was kind of okay with it (Mos Def as Ford Prefect? super-cool), until I realized that the odd photo of the short and cutesy white robot thing I was looking at was supposed to be Marvin, and that Marvin was being played by Willow. And I threw up a little, inside my mouth.

This, of course, is nothing compared to what will happen a few months after the Hitchhiker's Guide movie comes out, when Disney releases the first film in their Narnia series. When I think about how potentially awful it could be, I get dizzy and nauseous. This must have been how Lord of the Rings fans felt when they heard a movie was going to be made of their books. But they had genius Peter Jackson on board, as well as a studio behind him that supported creativity, and the results were wonderful. This is sadly not the case with Narnia; for example, IMDB lists SIX producers (and three of those are executive producers, no less) for the film. Heaven help us all.

No comments: