Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I have a problem. If my significant other doesn't like something that I really like to do, I then feel compelled to do it. For example: Imitating the noise that his radar detector makes every time he starts his car. Or: blowing raspberries (a.k.a. zerberts) on him. I am told "stop, for I actually kind of hate that" and the switch in my mind is thrown to "you must continue doing this behavior - in fact, step it up!" This has caused some tension in my relationships, to say the least. It's especially hard being with someone who has definite pet peeves. But they wouldn't be called pet peeves if you weren't supposed to pet them, right? (Sorry, I think I channeled Jean Teasdale for a moment there.) Seriously, it's a compulsion, one that I actually have to work at to control. I stopped doing the car noise thing, and the zerbert edict was just laid down a few days ago, but I think I'm making progress in controlling myself. It's just so hard to go from hanging out with my niece, who loves getting them, and then back to the other cute and affectionate person in my life, who hates them. Talk about receiving mixed messages.

Am I the only one with this problem? (Not the zerbert thing in particular, although if you have that exact same problem, then we should probably hang out.) Comments, please.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

There is definately something uniquely satisfying about finding pleasure in someone else's displeasure.

Anonymous said...

For a long time I would stick my tongue out when my husband went to kiss me. I don't know why. He finally got me to stop.

This week, he's mad because I like to kick him in the ass. To me, it's a playful thing. To him, it's an insult. Why?

Anonymous said...

I would have accepted that you just can't help yourself. But there is an actual increase in desire!

debl said...

It's more like it's forbidden fruit, "anonymous." Plus I secretly think you should find whatever it is I'm doing cute. We talked about this in bed the other night, so I don't know what I'm doing typing about it here...