Sunday, August 18, 2002

So the new dog is here and he's fine. He's very lazy (which is good) and fluffy (not great, but okay). Louise gets along with him fine. They barely interact, though that might be due to the heat wave. The dogs can't do much more than lie on the wood floor and pant.

I bought a trunk full of someone's memories at an auction Thursday night. It was $30. I spent the past two days going through it all (yearbooks, letters, memos, Navy unifroms, nursing uniforms, birthday cards, photos...), and here's what I've gleaned about this person's life.
Her name was Linda Renaud.
She graduated from Holyoke High School in 1967 and was an A student, though she had low SAT scores.
She got married the year after she graduated high school and had a kickin' bachelorette party, which she must have loved since she saved a ton of photos from it. She also got a pair of novelty panties that say "Yes is my favorite word."
She went to the Holyoke Hospital Nursing School for three years. She was initially rejected, however, for "reasons due to overweight" though they accepted her a few months later and she won a few scholarships to help her go. While she was at school, her mother died. She graduated class of 1970. She served as a Navy nurse in Philadelphia for only a year or so, where she was assigned. She asked to become decomissioned in order to move to California with her husband.
And then there's nothing. I have no idea if this person is still alive, or if she had children, or why her stuff was sold to a stranger at an auction. Why would anyone give this away? I have nothing like this for my relatives - nothing. All of the old photos on my walls are of stranger, except one posed photo of my grandmother. Why?

No comments: