Friday, May 30, 2003

Dear Haymarket,

Most mornings I buy my breakfast carbo treat from Bart's (muffins: $1.10) or Bakery Normand (danishes: $1.65) because they're the closest to my office. Today, however, I walked a little further up the street to buy something from you. I like you, really I do, even though the hipsters behind the counter judge me with their painted eyes. Anyway, I like you because you have good chai and your breakfast treats - specifically, the oat cakes - seem healthier than most. Which brings me to the reason for this letter. I bought a strawberry oatcake today for $1.15. And there was not a single strawberry in it. Not even a little chopped-up morsel. I ask you, how could this have happened? Was the tattooed androgynous baker so, well, baked that he or she forgot to add the identifying ingredient to the batter? Maybe the baker got the munchies and ate almost all of the strawberries first? Sure, when you make the blackberry oat cakes, they're fairly bursting with inedible, tooth-chipping blackberry seeds. But for some reason, no strawberries. What gives? This is almost as bad as the time I bought an oat cake from you and it was raw dough inside. At least with that one I could bring it back for a better one without looking like an asshole. But a strawberry-free strawberry oatcake just makes me suffer here in fruitless silence.

Sincerely,
Debl

No comments: