Tuesday, September 23, 2003

It's not that I'm all sad about Gordon Jump, and posting those lyrics as a tribute is kind of a joke. But I did go through a period when my family watched WKRP reruns every night at dinner. Similarly, I have likely seen every episode ever made of: Benson, Three's Company, MASH, Night Court, and Taxi; shows that were rerun on one of the three networks during 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. all week. For many years our family had a small black and white TV on the dining table in our kitchen, and we'd watch it while we ate, not talking but occasionally laughing together at the fake people on the television (we put the fun in dysfunctional!). WKRP was a really funny show, and I stand by that. For years I would say "Chi Chi Rodriguez" the same way Les Nessman did (Chy Chy Rod-rig-wheez), and the episode where they drop the turkeys from the helicopter is a classic. I even had a crush on Johnny Fever, which was quickly quelled when he ended up the teacher on the embarrassing Head of the Class. Good times.

No comments: