Wednesday, September 24, 2003

I've been waking up to a CD every morning. I've been trying to pick albums that make me feel good to be awake, and as a bonus, have a first song that's great to wake up to. So far my selections have been:

Bjork - Vespertine
Django Reinhardt - some French collection
They Might Be Giants - Flood (first song: The Theme from Flood)
REM - Green (first song: Get Up)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
XTC - Apple Venus Vol. 1

XTC and Bjork have been the best, though only Apple Venus has remained in the player for three mornings in a row. "River of Orchids" is just a perfect waking-up song; it starts with the sound of a drop of water, then the thrum of a bass, and slowly becomes all complicated and earnest. Here are some lyrics:

Take a packet of seeds
Take yourself out to play
I want to see river of orchids where we had a motorway
...
It's all in your back yard
You've the whole world at your feet
I said the grass is always greener when it bursts up through concrete


I seem to like songs about wanting civilization to revert back to nature. I love seeing the weeds win.

No comments: