Wednesday, December 03, 2003

This morning there was actual frost on my windows. All sparkly and frosty. Like frost. You know. Luckily it was on the inside of my storm windows, not the main window part that shares air with my apartment (my verbal skills seem to be missing today, sorry). But it's still a little bit alarming. My floors are also absolutely freezing, which is curious, since I'm on the top floor and should be stealing the rising heat from the four apartments below me.

And today was the first hair-freezing day of the season. I don't blow-dry my hair because it becomes a 70s-era, static-filled, fluffy mass if I do. So I leave the house with hair still wet. And it freezes. I have convinced myself that the freezing and thawing process makes my hair softer, but I know I'm likely just kidding myself.

I went and sang shape-note last night. As per usual I showed up late, but that was fine. There was a great crowd there and everyone was really into it. Lots of fast, fun songs and loudly mournful ones. By the end of the session my voice was sounding better, but my throat was constricted in protest. It's satisfying.

This shape note song that seems to be a group favorite, lyrics-wise. Plus, unlike many Sacred Harp songs, it talks about what to do when you're alive, as opposed to while you (or a loved one) is dying or dead:

Odem 340
Tune: T. J. Denson, 1935
Lyrics: James Rowe, 1915

Wonderful things of men are said,
When they have passed away;
Flowers adorn the narrow bed
Over the lifeless clay.

Give me the roses while I live,
Something to cheer me on,
Useless the flowers you may give,
After the soul is gone.

Life is the time for words of praise,
Hands clasp with friendly smile,
Blessings to cheer a pilgrim's days,
Are always well worthwhile.

Give me the roses while I live,
Something to cheer me on,
Useless the flowers you may give,
After the soul is gone.

No comments: