Monday, April 26, 2004

I will never again make disparaging remarks about various pot-bellied baseball players' lack of athleticism, for I played some casual baseball yesterday, and dammit, I can barely move today. I am sore and stiff all over; the pain is mainly contained in my hips, ass, back, arms, and legs. And my neck a little, and my ankles. The top of my head feels okay. And my toes. I only had one injury, when I managed to fumble a catch in such a way that the ball hit me square on the big tendon right below the kneecap. It didn't hurt so much as it made me instantly feel like throwing up. I didn't, though, and after a minute I felt fine. Magically, there is no bruise.

A baseball is way more fun to play catch with, but on the whole, I am used to the girly compromises of softball. The ball is bigger (and, uh, softer), and therefore a little easier to hit, and when it is hit, it doesn't go as far. And some of the people I was playing with were really good hitters. And that means running very fast into the outfield, triumphantly scooping up the ball, and then attempting to throw the ball infield using my pathetic noodle-like arm, and the ball falling with a gentle plop ten feet shy of the person I'm trying to throw it to. I think there was one occurance where I did this and managed to throw it alright and we almost got the guy out at home. But didn't. Still, though. I think with practice I could get, at the least, less embarrassing. Sita is the baseball-star girl who organized the whole thing, and kudos to her for rounding up the various aging hipsters of the town and getting them to go outside and play. Everyone was saying they want to do it again.

No comments: