Thursday, February 20, 2003

I did not attend the Papmered Chef paarty, though I heard it was fun, and I didn't get to try out my art idea, as I was feeling all carpal-tunnelly. I did watch the film L.I.E., which I loved and recommend. My sis said she started watching Donnie Darko and mentioned the early scene in which Donnie is walking into the high school and the entire Tears for Fears song "Head Over Heels" plays. Man, I loved that scene, mainly because that song is so great. I was holding my breath watching it, it was so perfect. S needs to see the rest of the film for the later scene with "Mad World" in it. In the 80s, when TFF were actually popular, I thought they were kind of corny, but now I think they're great. Excellent songwriting with a nice clear pop sound.

I ran into a new acquaintence at the Haymarket this morning. Apparently she works at the Hampshire College bookstore and does some writing for the Omen (the campus rag) on the side. She was conducting a poll so she sat me down for a mini-interview. Here's what she asked, and my answers to her (completely off the top of my head; I was rushing a little, as I had to get back to work):

1. What would you sacrifice in order to stop a war in Iraq?
I've actually been thinking about this. My car. It would be a big pain in the ass, but I could walk to the bus and the supermarket.

2. What would you sacrifice in order to stop a war in North Korea?
Hmm... wow. Well, it depends a little who the war is with. Is it us? This is harder, because giving up my car for the Iraq thing seems logical because of the oil issue... I guess I'd give up my house, which represents a big hunk of money; unless North Korea was going to nuke L.A. or something. Then I guess I'd give up my life in exchange for all of those people.

3. What would you sacrifice in order to stop a war in New York City?
Whoa. I guess I'd die, though it's tough to say - my sister lives there, and my parents live close by, and I wouldn't want to save them but then not live to see them (interviewer: But you'd be a hero to them.) I guess so. Okay, yes, I'd do it.

So there you have it. If the choice is between my life and levelling NYC or LA, I'd say take my life. But come on - like that would ever happen. I know the point of the poll was to point out that we consider strangers' lives worth less than our own (or our possessions). But it's a little too easy to say "I'd give up my life" when there's absolutely no way that exchange would be made. Now, giving up my car - that's in the realm of possibility, as reducing the amount of oil we buy from the middle east could potentially change things over there. And if gas prices go up to, say, $4.00 a gallon, I'll be much more inclined to walk a mile to the bus stop to get to work. But doing that won't stop a war in Iraq either.

It seems, at this point, that almost nothing will.


No comments: