Wednesday, February 05, 2003

[more from my 1984-86 diary.] [different pen here; must have written this several months later.]

The seventh grade year ended with more pissy fights. W still always had to have her way. Everyone hated her.

The summer went by quickly. W didn’t see any more of F.

The 8th grade year started. People started being meaner and meaner to W. We had notebooks We passed them and wrote to each other. Sometimes we wrote about W. K and DA wrote a story about all of us. W was the villain. W didn’t know about any of us.

We went to see a movie called “Better Off Dead” [kicking off a lifelong love affair with John Cusack]. We were going to tell W off. (K, DA, me, S, K, Sh, M, PL, D, T.) At Burger King [across the parking lot from the movie theater. New Jersey, people. This was what we had for our "downtown."], me, S, DA, K, ran ahead because we wanted the others to follow. W and the others became offended. We asked them why. They said because we ran ahead. W started crying, asking why were we being so mean, what did she do, etc. She laid so much guilt on us that others started to cry. Everyone was saying how sorry they were. I wasn’t crying. W said between sobs, “Debbie isn’t even crying!” So I thought about mean people at school and cried.

The nerve of that shrimp! She wanted everyone to cry for her!

We were all W’s friends again. Almost. I went over to K’s. M was there. I told her I still hated W. K and M said they still did too.

Whenever W did something wrong, she would ask what she should do to be better. She wanted to be everyone’s perfect friend.

Now it’s just a matter of pretending. If she found out we didn’t like her, I don’t know what would happen.

I think W is a lesbian. Seriously. Whenever she sees a big breasted/thighed woman, she says “Man! Look at that!”
[I wrote this before it was cool or at least acceptable to be a lesbian, at least in my town. I didn't say I'd come off well here... ]

No comments: