Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Today i signed up on the "interested?" sheet at work for an office summer softball team. I have never successfully played softball, and I never, ever played organized sports during school (except during the mandated gym classes). But something about softball appeals to me. I think that if I get over of my fear of the ball, and learn how and who to throw it to, I'll be okay. I know I can hit, since I've actually done that before. But I was the type of girl who went as far into the outfield as I could when my team wasn't up, and then I'd let someone else run to catch the ball if it came out that far. But I am enjoying picturing myself in a sporty little cap, all confident, being all "there's no 'I' in 'team!'," getting nicknamed "Blaze," having my dog become the team mascot, going out for celebratory ice cream afterwards. In reality my RSI will probably become a lot worse, some of my officemates will turn out to be over-competitive abusive soccer-dad-types, and I'll end up being the goat of the team. But I guess we'll see.

No comments: