Thursday, March 13, 2003

I was upbraided (what does that even mean?) last night for not blogging yesterday. Now that I've been linked on the BlogBeat three times I've got a rep to uphold or something.

I did go to the Tuesday night shape-note singing thing. It's like learning another language, this note-reading thing, and even though this system of reading music was made for the unlearned Puritan masses, I haven't been able to totally get the hang of it yet. I was confident in the beginning of the Tuesday meeting but the songs quickly became more complex. I hope I didn't annoy people too much with my bad notes. Because of the high volume, it's hard to hear yourself sing - like singing in a club with insufficient monitors. You can hear your neighbors very loudly but you can only hear yourself when you've either done something wrong or are singing so loudly that if you DO do something wrong, everyone in the room will hear it. Anyway. I enjoyed it and will try to come again.

We have a brand-new ventilation fan in our bathroom. It works like a charm; I had it on during my 10-minute shower this morning and the mirror didn't even fog up. I feel like such a grown-up, getting things like this done - I called the guy, told him what I wanted, and now will pay him for his services. I'm all responsible and shit.

Though not all THAT responsible. I took A and T to the mall last night. We hit American Eagle (which was all somewhat conservative preppy clothing when I was a teenager; now it's cool and sexy) and Express. AE puts their initials on everything, which I hate. But their spring line has a lot of nice almost hippy-ish stuff, like soft A-line knee-length skirts. I tried on some on-sale pants but they were too low-rise for me; I don't really mind wearing those but I feel too old for the style. I did, however, get a fruit-themed tank top and panty set. I couldn't help it, it's adorable and I feel adorable wearing it. At Express the kids both got these flirty, kind of tight miniskirts. It looked good on the older one but it looked vaguely too mature for the younger one (T). I'm not sure why. A and T have similar bodies at this point - they're both very curvy. I didn't try to stop T, however; it's her decision, and she'll learn from experience the pros and cons of wearing sexy clothing. She's smart and sassy, maybe she'll work it, in a good way.

No comments: