Sunday, March 16, 2003

On Saturday Night Live last night there was a skit that had a character by Rachel Dratch in it; she played one of her painfully nerdy, socially inept, unattractive but well-meaning women. She's very funny at it; all I have to do is look at her with her big goofy smile and the slightly insane head-tremble and I start laughing. When asked to describe what sorts of things she liked to do, she said something like "Well, I enjoy buying things on eBay, watching foreign films, and ['pet my cat' or something equally pathetic-sounding]." Whatever it was, it was hilariously close to what I could say about myself, though I'd never tell a stranger that one of the things I "like to do" is "buy things on eBay." Like it's a hobby or something. Because to me, shopping is AN INCREDIBLY SERIOUS WAY OF LIFE.

Anyway, I hope no-one out there sees me as a crazy Rachel Dratch lady. I think I'm too sarcastic and self-aware and sassy (and sexy, smooth, slim, schooled, soft, sophisticated, and sensual) to be her. Alliteration is fun.

It is so warm out (or at least "not cold") that we have a couple of windows open. It's really not warm enough for that, but the lack of spring has made us crazy. In our neighborhood people are out riding bikes and kids are playing and, mainly, snow is melting, albeit very slowly. We're gonna have one hell of a mud season. I don't care! Bring it on!!

No comments: