Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Hi, hi, hi. So I had an active weekend. There was a little farmer's market, a little tag saling, a couple of barbecues, some nice Thai food, a couple of movies (8 1/2, Finding Nemo), and a few downhill adventures on Sunday. All a lot of fun, but it means I still haven't finished setting up the apartment! Dammit.

Sunday was a Day of Fun with T, who has been bored and alone at her grandma's house for a week. She babysat in town Saturday night and slept over at my place, and then I took her out to brunch at Casablanca. Unfortunately I chose to try leaving Louise-dog alone in the apartment for the hour or so we were at brunch, and we came back to a bunch of little white paint chips that had come under the door sill on the floor outside of my apartment. Uh-oh. I opened the door to a frantic Louise and a couple of scratched-bare spots on the painted floor and more scratches on the white door. I had left her alone for 20 minutes the previous day and she was fine, but even that day I left and returned several times in order to get her used to the idea. So it's back to the beginning for me. Fortunately it's not been too hot out and I can stow her in my car.

Anyway. After brunch, we drove up to Brattleboro to drop my dog off at her grandma's house, and then had a mini-road-trip to Bromley Mt., where we had our downhill adventures. We were hoping for the alpine slide but a freak rainshower made them shut it down. Instead we did the DevalKarts (scroll down) twice. They were fun, though we went too slow the first time and kept rolling to a stop and having to push ourselves along with our feet (there aren't any pedals, it's all gravity). The second time I really went flying, at one point losing almost all control of the thing. It was great fun.

We also went on the "Big Splash" (also at above link), which is really just a regular waterslide in which you sit in a small inflatable boat. To get to the loading area a bit further up the side of the mountain, instead of simply walking up a set of stairs you ride this very slow-moving conveyer belt thing. And it says to just stand on it, so you end up going more slowly than you'd walk. We couldn't stop laughing. The Big Splash was more of a Little Sprinkle, and it was short but fun.

Also, on the way we stopped at a house that had a lot of Free Stuff on their front lawn (the dregs of a tag sale) and T found a two-inch tall plastic Puppy Brite (Rainbow's dog, y'know) in mint condition. He was our dashboard mascot for the rest of the drive.

No comments: