Monday, July 07, 2003

I had a nice weekend. I went to P's aunt's house at the Cape, with P and his mom and four teenaged girls, and stayed for two nights. We swam in the bay, ate lobsters, and shopped in Provincetown. A and T each had a friend with them, and one of them hadn't been to P-Town before, so the girls had to prepare her: "Okay, you're going to see a lot of men. A lot of gay men. Most of them are very buff. If we're lucky, there will be a drag queen hanging out to advertise their show. See that rainbow flag? That means a gay guy lives there."

The same girl later said "But aren't gay men supposed to be all non-sexual?" What!? "You know, lesbians, all they want to do is be sexy and have sex..." Wow. It is so obvious she's learning this from MTV and crap like that. You know, the televised opportunistic girls who make out with their friends to get attention and attract a horny guy with a girl-on-girl fetish (not hard to find). I tried to straighten her out but I'm no authority on the subject. I'm just better read, I guess, on the topic of gay sex. Ahem.

Also, on Saturday all of us except grandma went walking on the bayside beach at midnight. It was during low tide when you can walk out towards the horizon until you drop from exhaustion and only get wet up to your ankles. P had brought his guitar and was playing songs to sing along to. I had my dog on a leash and kept running around with her in the dark and then splashing back to shore. Someone further down the beach was setting fireworks off from their porch. It was pretty damn magical.

Now I'm back and huddled in my little hovel, still not completely unpacked, wracked with inertia that I'm choosing to blame on the heat, stuck in one room because it's the one with the air conditioner in it. I haven't gotten dinner together and though I'd like to go see Spellbound alone tonight I have nowhere to put my crazy anxious dog. This is my new life. Hello.

No comments: