Friday, September 06, 2002

And so A and T's first week of school here draws to a close. A was invited out to a movie tonight by a girl. She's not sure she wants to go. Both of them have decided they don't really like the kids in their school very much. Their mindset is completely foreign to me so I'm kind of at a loss. I never had to move when I was a kid, and I went to school with basically the same people for 12 years. In a way that's good, in a way bad, because you never get a chance to reinvent yourself. I felt very trapped in my awkward-nerd role and transforming into my awkward-artist role took a long time. Anyway, if I was a teen moving to a new school and a new state and someone invited me to do something social after school, I'd jump at the chance out of gratitude if nothing else. Even if she doesn't get a great friend out of it, she's putting herself out there and who knows - lots of people act differently outside of the confines of school. I'm going to try to convince her to go.

In other news, I made a kick-ass carrot soup last night with carrots I grew myself. Of course it took about an hour and a half what with the almond-toasting and the carrot-peeling and chopping. It had ginger and cinammon in it but wasn't sweet, just yummm. I love growing carrots; each time you pull one up it's a little surprise. Will it be big and long? Will it be short and stubby? Will it have three legs? I also have way too many tomatoes which are currently rotting in the pantry. I just don't really like gazpacho, and I don't know how to can things. I'm eating them as fast as I can.

I also worked on the chair I'm painting for Safe Passage. It's a bitch to paint, because I end up in all of these wacky positions I have to hold while I try to paint straight. My legs are actually sore from the looming and hovering I had to do. And it's not even done. It has to be finished by early tomorrow so I can poly-coat it before the artist reception thing on Monday. I don't even know if I can poly this safely, since I used acrylic paints; I'm worried the polyurethane will smear the paint. I'll try to do a test somewhere inconspicuous.

No comments: