Monday, August 04, 2003

It was like trying to sleep in a tropical rainforest last night. The sheets were all heavy with humidity and they draped closely around my body. I kept tossing and turning, trying to get the right combination of limbs exposed to air or covered with sheet. Now I'm very tired and it's still super humid out, but at least now I'm in my air-conditioned office.

I had had a pretty good Sunday, all by myself. I got some caffiene for breakfast, which helped me get started. I cleared off a bunch of clutter, swept the stairs, made a batch of iced tea, and I finally downloaded and named all of my digital photos from Silver Bay. But then right in the middle of the computer work, the power went off. It was out on the entire street. For two hours. At the beginning I just laid around and read, but then the lack of fans/air conditioning was starting to get to me, so I took the dog in the car and drove around. My plan was to go to Stop and Shop and pick up some things I needed to make pesto with the basil I'd bought at the farmer's market. I saw that the traffic light at the intersection of Main and Market Street was burnt out, and despite what I'd been taught to do in that situation - treat it like a four-way stop sign - the cars on Main Street just kept whizzing by at full speed, as if the light was blazing green. Eventually there was a gap and I could drive through. But then the sun came out, and I couldn't find shade anywhere in the lot, which meant I couldn't park and leave the dog in the car without her baking like a chicken leg. So I went to State Street, where I had to wait in the lot for one of the shaded spots to become available, and paid too much for the cheese, pine nuts, and garlic I needed. Having a dog like mine is a trial.

Anyway, by the time I got home the power had been restored, so I was able to make pesto and finish up my pics and watch High Fidelity on Comedy Central and work on the package for the Art-o-mat I'm sending out this week. I will be figuring out how to post the pics online soon.

No comments: