Monday, August 25, 2003

This weekend's weather was perfect. Sunny and warm during the day and cool at night. I had a weird mix of relaxing quietude in my apartment (making blueberry pancakes, reading, and napping in my nice, breezy bedroom) and socializing out (at Bar 19 and Harry's). Saturday night, I ended up watching some Fancy Trash at their CD release party, and was impressed. The place was packed, so I'm not the only one. It always gives me a good feeling when talented local bands get the attention they deserve.

I also saw Capturing the Freidmans, which was really good and disturbing. it's the kind of movie you want to talk to people about, but only if they've also seen it, because you don't want to give anything away. So I won't discuss it here. I'm thoughtful like that.

The other thing I did this weekend: Shopping for my twin sister's present, which is always time-consuming. I know that she'll probably like whatever I like, but we're both picky, and we grew up imparting gifts with way too much psychological meaning and weight, so the gift has to betray the fact that hours were spent either making or finding it. (I don't really do this with anyone but her, nowadays, and thank god for that.) There's also the thing we do that we got from my mom, of apologizing for the gift as the recipient is opening it. It's easy, you just say, "Now, you can always return it if you don't like it..." or, "this isn't really what you wanted, but it's the best I could do," as the person is still peeling back the first flap of wrapping paper. But in this particular case, I may not be able to fulfill my sister's request, because she purposefully asked me for something she's been having trouble finding and she could only entrust the search to me, and though I was confiddent a local crafty store could help me, they have come up empty. And I know she reads this but oh well. Now maybe I won't have to apologize as she's opening my gift.

No comments: