Monday, August 02, 2004

Hi everybody, I came home. My vacation was fine; there was a little swimming, a tiny amount of kayaking, a couple of hours of crafting (I made an enameled leaf pendant), some puzzle-piecing-togethering, and a lot of rain-avoidance. There were also many salads and ice cream cones eaten. Due to a warning about a stomach bug going throught campus, I got all OCD about washing my hands for a few days (and I didn't get sick like that, though I now have a cold, courtesy of A). I spent most of my time in the company of my niece, who turned six months old yesterday. Man she is a heart-melter. I let her drool all over my shoulders and chomp on my fingers. I made her laugh a couple of times, the cutest sound in the world. It was painful to say goodbye.

And then I came home, and there was no L-dog to pick up, because she has been adopted by the piano teacher from Salisbury. She seems very nice and says she already loves L. Of course, she also sent me an email today saying L had torn up the kitchen floor this morning. She asked me for L's behavior history, for her appointment with a doggie therapist. I hope that all works out for L.

As for me, the debl homestead is seeming a little lonely. It's quiet, too; I hadn't really thought about how much I speak to my dog. But I used to say things to her all the time. Many were directives, sure, but also things a person might say to another person, like "yeah, it sure is hot up here," and "soon we will go swimming" and "it will all be okay," as well as singing little songs with her name in them. It's been even weirder at work, where I keep on looking over to her empty dog bed, and I have to stop myself from automatically saying "Stay, L" every time I go downstairs. I'm trying to get into talking to my cat when I'm home, but come on. She's a cat. There's just no comparison.

I also have yet to fully realize all of the new things that can happen now that I'm dogless. I can ride my bike to work, for example. I can put the cat's food on the floor. I can walk into town or drive to the store during daylight hours. I can sign up for yoga class again. I can put on my give-up pants (or keep them off, as the case may be in this heat) much earlier in the evening, since I don't have to go out for a late-night walk. Tonight, if I can get a nap in first so I don't feel quite so crappy, I hope to walk over to see a show at the Iron Horse (you should go too). Tomorrow I can ride my bike to Shape-Note singing (unlikely, since it's all uphill, but I could if I wanted to). So I've got all that going for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I give up, why are they called give-up pants? I get the general concept, I think, but I've never heard the term before. Just curious.

debl said...

Hi anonymous. I think the genesis of the term was an episode of Seinfeld, when they were discussing how wearing sweatpants in public was a message to the world that you've given up. My friends and I use the term "give-up pants" for those comfortable pajama bottoms or sweatpants that we put on when we're in for the night and we've given up trying to look respectable.

I've also heard them called "hang-around bang-around" pants.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debl. Something tells me that Old Navy won't be incorporating either term into future marketing campaigns but I'm glad I know what to call mine now. I thought it might have been one of those New England only terms like tag sale or package store or bottle deposit.