Thursday, August 05, 2004

If you people aren't reading my comments, then you are missing out. I'm just saying.

My birthday is at the end of the month. I was just going through my blog archives, looking for a particular post (read the comments!) and I found an entry about last year's birthday, where I said something like "being 31 is going to rock!" because my 30th year kind of sucked balls. 31 was definitely better than 30, but I can't say that I truly rocked 31. Plus, now I'm going to be 32, which puts me firmly into my 30s. 31 is kind of like 30, in that it's really just the top of your 20s.

I really shouldn't care at all. I am trying not to, and I manage not to most of the time. It's unattractive, or so they say, to care about such things. I'm supposed to be all confident and carefree and secure in my lovely fresh ripe-peachiness. Maybe that will be my goal for my 32nd year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reviving that whiskey post from the archival ashes. Truly, it was your finest blogging hour.

On the age topic, did you find your attitude changed as you neared and passed 30? I'm 26 now, and I don't really think much about it.

And now that I'm about to turn the odometer over to 27 in September (Hello, Libra!), I'm wondering if suddenly I'll start freaking out about aging -- as if this big, oncoming train in the distance is nearing, whistle blaring and engine chuffing ...

Just curious.

-- Shawn

debl said...

That's great, thanks again.

I don't think I'd be worrying about aging if I wasn't single. Like all women, I'm bombarded with messages from the media telling me how to look as young as possible in order for a man to find me attractive. I know it's bullshit, but that message is still hidden in my brain like a cancer, sending me the occasional poisonous doubt. I look younger than my age, I think, but it still sucks.

Of course you're also catching me on a bad day. Ask me in a week and I might say that I love getting older, that I'm more comfortable being myself, I'm more experienced and worldly, and that I know what I want much better than I did five years ago. All of those things are great.