Tuesday, August 17, 2004

My brother-in-law is good people. Last night he said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "If you saw your friend getting beaten up, would you just stand there and not do anything about it? No. Then why are you treating yourself that way?" That is right on. Why is my first impulse to try and figure out what is wrong with ME? Why do I continue to believe someone else's criticisms of me, when I've always known that they were bullshit?

I need to be kind to myself. Like I was my best friend. It's sad that I have to remind myself to do such things, but there it is. When I take a step back, it's totally obvious that I've done the right thing and will be much better in the end for it.

Things are looking much brighter and calmer today. Thanks for reading and continuing to care about me, your cyber-web-friend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her readers might not know this, but Debl's a superhero. She uses her super-powers to rescue the elderly from burning buildings, to scoop up kittens stranded on high tree branches, and to foil any of several garishly dressed super-villains. Sometimes, when she's in her secret identity, she forgets to use her secret powers (which include mind bullets, did I mention that?) to save herself from peril.

Don't you wish you had mind bullets? Don't you wish you had this kick-ass bike? Me too.

debl said...

Dude, I can't believe you totally blabbed about my secret identity (and my sweet ride). I'd send a mind bullet right into your ass, but my powers don't allow me to identify those who post anonymously. Curses!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who "grew up nerdy" and was his own best friend a lot of the time, your man is right. The best part is you're awesome, so it's very lucky that you get *you* to be your best friend. (Was that even close to readable grammar?)

-Haunted Ghost

debl said...

Thanks, HG. But that wasn't my man, it was my sister's. Her husband, I mean. Just FYI.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes us ghosts post too "street" for our own good.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Yes. You must be your own best friend. You must swim in a big sea of you. Right now. I demand it.

Or: reveal to me the identity of those who are wronging you, and I'll come up there and KICK SOME ASS. (Read: insult them using Shakespearean terms that are likely to only annoy and confuse rather than hurt. But still!)

Your brother-in-law is a wise, wise man.

love,
Alice